The Carthy Chronicles
Rare, Live and Classic Carthy
4 Cds with books, videos and more.
" a must-have for anyone who's ever enjoyed Carthy's previous work. He doesn't put on airs, or even take himself too
seriously; he just plows his furrow, taking the music into directions that are in his head. Add an excellent book, and you have what
must be one of the albums of 2001, dedicated to a giant of an artist" - Chris Nickson, GlobalVillageIdiot
"Each setting reiterates Carthy's influence in folk song, so that it becomes difficult indeed to imagine the revival without his presence and dedication. The Carthy Chronicles is a brilliant landmark, a labor of love, and probably the folk release of the year." - Lee Blackstone, RootsWorld
The set includes four themed CDs...
CD1: Classic Carthy
CD2: Carthy in Company
CD3: Carthy Contemporaries
This is the first in-depth anthology of Martin's music and career
Music selected from over 1,000 tracks, from a wide range of sources
The full extent of his career is covered and the set includes -
- His earliest and most recent known live recordings
- Songs from every solo album he has released
- Songs from all the bands he has worked with – Thamesiders, Three City Four, Steeleye Span, Albion Band, Watersons, Band of Hope, Blue Murder, Waterson: Carthy
- Collaborations with a virtual who's who of folk and folk-rock including John Kirkpatrick, Richard Thompson, Ashley Hutchings, Les Barker, June Tabor, Dave Swarbrick (of course), Leon Rosselson, Bert Jansch, and more.
- Music from sources long thought lost – TV appearances, videotape releases, US concerts.
- The set includes over 5 hours of music
- Of the set's 83 tracks: 17 are deleted or impossible-to-find; 25 are previously unreleased recordings, of which 11 songs have never before made available on recordings by Martin.
- For the first time ever, the set brings together the pick of Martin's non-traditional recordings with cover versions of songs by composers including Dylan, Brecht, Bellamy, O'Sullivan, Carter and MacColl.
- The CD set is themed so each CD covers a different aspect of his career: the Classic Carthy recordings, Carthy in Company, Contemporary Carthy, and Child:Carthy - which brings together his readings of the big ballads
- Set also includes -
- Detailed 90+ page book with Colin Irwin biography, recollections of friends and colleagues, detailed track notes for every track including Martin's own comments, complete discography, previously unseen photographs many of which come from the Carthy archive
- CD-ROM offer (with first 5000 copies only), including alternative and source recordings, rare video footage, the ultimate Martin Carthy track finder, interview material and an extensive portrait gallery.
- Free Reed's Carthy Web-Site includes unique duet by Paul Simon & Martin Carthy!!
- Specially commissioned Pete Frame family tree available only with this set
- Specially reprinted edition of Peter Bellamy's classic Martin Carthy poster